Don't Miss the Akron Art Museum Appraisal Affair
For Release: September 2009
Akron, Ohio, September 18, 2009 — Are treasures hiding among the dust in your attic or garage? Bring your family heirlooms and collectibles to the experts to see if they are as priceless as you hope during the Akron Art Museum Appraisal Affair on Saturday, October 17 from 11 am to 5 pm (no admission after 3:30 pm).
Wes Cowan, founder and owner of Cowan’s Auctions, Inc. in Cincinnati, Ohio, star of the PBS television series "History Detectives" and featured appraiser on "Antiques Roadshow" will be the resident expert for the day.
In addition, representatives from the Intermuseum Conservation Association, dedicated to the preservation of works of art and objects of cultural significance, will be on hand with information on conserving and caring for your antiques.
Akron Art Museum and Western Reserve PBS members will enjoy exclusive access to the appraisers from 9 to 11 am before the event opens to the public. No advance reservations taken. Tickets are $15 for museum and PBS members, $20 for non-members and can be purchased at the door with cash or check only.
- Each person may bring up to two hand-carried items for appraisal (no lots please).
- Experts will be supplied to cover all possible types of fine art and antiques including paintings, furniture, decorative art, historic militaria, Indian artifacts, historic Americana, toys, dolls, antique advertising, patriotic items, etc.
- Experts will appraise only those items that can be carried.
- Bring photographs for large items such as furniture.
- Experts cannot appraise costume jewelry, stamps or coins.
Media sponsorship for the Akron Art Museum’s Appraisal Affair is provided by Western Reserve PBS.
Address: One South High, Akron, OH 44308
Gallery and Store Hours: Wednesday – Sunday: 11 am – 5 pm, Thursday: 11 am – 9 pm, Closed Monday and Tuesday, as well as Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Years Day.
Café Hours: Wednesday-Sunday: 11 am – 3 pm, Thursday: 11 am – 7:30 pm
Library Hours: Wednesday, Thursday & Friday: 11 am – 4 pm
Admission: Adult general admission is $7, Student and Senior (65+) general admission is $5, Children (12 and under) are FREE, members are FREE. On the first Sunday of every month, individual admissions to the collection are FREE. Special exhibitions may require paid admission. No tours available on these days.