The Akron Art Museum Presents Downtown@Dusk
For Release: May 2011
FOR RELEASE: May 31, 2011
CONTACT: Elizabeth M. Wilson, Director of Marketing Communication
330.376.9186 x213, bWilson@AkronArtMuseum.org
The Akron Art Museum Presents
Thursday Evenings, June 23 – August 11
6:30 – 8:30 pm
Akron, Ohio, May 31, 2011 —The Akron Art Museum’s popular summer concert series, Downtown@Dusk, returns for its 27th season, offering a showcase of great music with a lineup of eight great bands.
Featuring everything from Zydeco to Alternative Rock, there’s a mix of something for everyone sprinkled throughout this year’s concert schedule. The FREE concerts will be held from 6:30 – 8:30 pm in the museum’s High Street parking lot or in the Beatrice Knapp McDowell Grand Lobby in case of rain.
Throughout the evening, concertgoers can enjoy other free activities including Family Fun Nights and ArtTalks@Dusk.
The museum galleries will be open until 9 pm. In addition to the collection, Kaleidoscope Quilts: The Art of Paula Nadelstern, The Dorothy and Herbert Vogel Collection: Fifty Works for Ohio and Flora will be on view. Standard gallery admission is required to visit the galleries.
A variety of beverages (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and tasty treats will be available for purchase and the Museum Store will be open until 9 pm (admission not required to shop).
Live personalities from 89.7 WKSU will emcee each concert.
Family Fun Nights and ArtTalks@Dusk
During Family Fun Nights, kids with an accompanying adult can join museum educators, from 6 – 8:30 pm, in hands-on, make-and-take art activities inspired by artwork in the museum.
While the band takes a break from 7:30 – 7:45 pm, ArtTalks@Dusk will occur in the air-conditioned comfort of The Charles and Jane Lehner Auditorium. Museum staff, area artists and local experts will offer a series of informal talks about the exhibitions on view as well as a variety of other art-related topics.
Thursday, June 23: Lost State of Franklin, Rockabilly, 6:30-8:30 pm
- ArtTalks@Dusk, 7:30 pm, Gayle Pritchard, quilt historian and quilter, Uncommon Threads: Ohio's Art Quilt Revolution
Thursday, June 30: The Speedbumps, Folk-Inspired Indie/Alternative, 6:30-8:30 pm.
- ArtTalks@Dusk, 7:30 pm,Carole Pollard, quilter, Quilting Beyond the Block: A Local Take on Art Quilting
Thursday, July 7: Hey Mavis, Americana, 6:30-8:30 pm
- ArtTalks@Dusk, 7:30 pm,Karen Benke, owner, Little Red Quilt House, Contemporary Quilting Techniques: Demonstration
Thursday, July 14: Blue Lunch, Chicago Blues, Jump & Swing, 6:30-8:30 pm
· ArtTalks@Dusk, 7:30 pm,Judith McMillan, photographer, Gardening and Art: How One Passion Impacts the Other
Thursday, July 21: Zydeco Kings, Zydeco, 6:30-8:30 pm
· ArtTalks@Dusk, 7:30 pm,Meg Stanton, owner, Harris Stanton Gallery, Beginning an Art Collection
Thursday, July 28: Rudy & the Professionals, Island music, 6:30-8:30 pm
· ArtTalks@Dusk, 7:30 pm,Floral Throwdown, a flower arranging challenge by members of The Akron Garden Club, inspired the Flora exhibition
Thursday, August 4: 15-60-75 The Numbers Band, Abstract Blues, 6:30-8:30 pm
· ArtTalks@Dusk, 7:30 pm,Connie Bloom, artist, That's No Potholder, Buster: How Contemporary Artists are Changing Public Perception about Quilts
Thursday, August 11: Robin Stone, Neo Soul, 6:30-8:30 pm
· ArtTalks@Dusk, 7:30 pm,Jane Hammond, Intermuseum Conservation Association, textile conservator, Care and Conservation of Traditional and Artist's Quilts
Parking is free after 6 pm in the municipal parking deck across from the museum. No smoking, pets, bottles, cans, bikes, skateboards, sporting equipment or chalk allowed.
Downtown@Dusk 2011 is made possible by The City of Akron. It is presented in cooperation with 89.7 WKSU. ArtTalks at Dusk 2011 are made possible by a gift from the Gertrude F. Orr Trust Advised Fund of Akron Community Foundation.Family Fun Nights 2011 are made possible by a gift from the Gertrude F. Orr Trust Advised Fund of Akron Community Foundation.
Address: One South High, Akron, OH 44308
Gallery and Store Hours: Wednesday – Sunday: 11 am – 5 pm, Thursday: 11 am – 9 pm, Closed Monday and Tuesday and all major holidays
Café Hours: Wednesday-Sunday: 11 am – 3 pm, Thursday: 11 am – 7:30 pm
Library Hours: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 11 am – 4 pm
Admission: Adult general admission is $7, Student and Senior (65+) general admission is $5, Children (12 and under) are FREE, members are FREE. On the first Sunday of every month, individual admission to the collection is FREE. Special exhibitions may require paid admission. No tours available on these days.