(Sharon, Pennsylvania, 1883 - 1962, Monterey, California)
A key innovator of the Cleveland School, regional artists active in the early 20th century, Abel Warshawsky helped introduce his peers to European modern art. Warshawsky graduated from the Cleveland School of Art (now Cleveland Institute of Art) in 1905, under the tutelage of Louis Rorimer and Frederick Gottwald. He continued his education at the Art Students League and the National Academy of Design in New York. In 1908, Rorimer funded Warshawsky’s studies at the Academie Julian in Paris. Warshawsky remained in France for the next 24 years, occasionally traveling to the United States to visit family and exhibit work. World War II prompted his ultimate departure from Europe in 1939, when he settled in Monterey, California.
In 1910, Warshawsky returned to Cleveland, exhibiting at the Rowfant Club, Gage Galleries and the Cleveland School of Art, which hosted a solo exhibition of his work in 1916. During his stay, Cleveland artists William Sommer and Hugo Robus asked Warshawsky to teach classes on the techniques and color theory he learned from Impressionist painters in Europe.View objects by this artist.