(Ashtabula, Ohio, 1909 - 1991, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio)
Etching on paper
10 in. x 7 1/2 in. (25.4 cm x 19.05 cm)
Gift of the Art Department, Akron Board of Education, Courtesy of the Fine Arts Program, Public Buildings Service, U.S. General Services Administration Commissioned through the New Deal art projects
In 1936 and 1937, the city of Cleveland hosted the Great Lakes Exposition, a world’s fair-type event. Flint documented the “Expo” in several prints made for the WPA, including this satirical image of visitors taking a lunch break along the main promenade. By the time he became director of the Akron Art Institute (now the Akron Art Museum) in 1956, Flint had left behind this representational style and focused instead on creating abstract works.