Education Department Spring 2013 Internship (Unpaid)
The Akron Art Museum education department is currently seeking an intern for the spring semester. This is an extraordinary opportunity to have hands on experience working in an art museum during a potentially blockbuster, educator friendly exhibition and interface with a diverse population of museum visitors, including school groups, families, artists and docent tour guides. The intern’s duties will be focused on two exhibitions related to picture book art, The Snowy Day and the Art of Ezra Jack Keats and Draw Me a Story. Candidates should be studying or have recently completed a degree in Art Education, Education, Art History, Studio Art or Library Science. Good writing and public speaking skills, a sense of creativity and strong independent work ethic are required. Some experience working with children and knowledge of art making processes is recommended. Familiarity with Photoshop and graphic design related programs is helpful. Please submit a resume and writing sample or lesson plan to Director of Education Alison Caplan by January 11.
- Collect, print and laminate ancillary images related to the Snowy Day and tour props to be utilized on docent tours. Clean tour prop closet and refresh supplies on a weekly basis.
- Assist in researching and preparing training materials for Snowy Day and Draw Me a Story exhibitions.
- Attend docent training and walk through for exhibitions, study tour materials and shadow tours. Following training, conduct tours for Snowy Day and Draw Me a Story exhibitions. Develop hands on activity and/or games that could take place in the gallery during tours. Be available at least one day a week to give tours of the exhibition to K-12 groups. Tours take place Tues-Fri between 9:30 am and 1:30 pm. Docent Training takes place every other Tuesday 10 am-12 pm.
- Lead story hour sessions during the exhibition. Research and choose books. Study whole book approach; create hands on activity or game related to the books.
- Assist in scanning and preparing student artwork for Draw Me a Story exhibition.
- Design, prepare and execute hands on activity for Akron Summit County Public Library’s Festival of Reading. Must be available to work the event Saturday, February 9.
- Create and maintain bulletin board with hands on component for ASCPL Main library.
- Assist in researching and designing reading list and other resources related to exhibition for educators and families.
- Help Education Assistant in preparing activities for the Snowy Day Family Drop In Day. Collect supplies, create samples, and execute activity with the help of volunteers the day of the event. Must be available Saturday April 13.
- Assist educators with other tasks and events as needed.